Elevator fire evacuates CAS

A fire above a College of Arts and Sciences building elevator set off alarms Friday morning, forcing students and staff to evacuate the building.

The alarm occurred at 9:17 a.m., when five fire trucks and the paramedics reported to the building. The fire was caused by a short circuit, which sparked a fire above the middle bank of elevators in the building, according to Boston Fire Chief John Carey. No one was injured in the fire. Fire officials cut power to the building to isolate the problem, Carey said.

Students and staff were allowed to return to the building when the problem was isolated and its causes found, Carey said. Fire officials relinquished control of the building at 10 a.m., according to the Boston Fire Department.

Boston University spokesman Colin Riley said the evacuation went without problems. He said the elevator above which the fire happened will be out of service for ‘a while.’

School of Hospitality Administration freshman Colin Lim, who was near the elevator at the time of the fire, said he heard ‘really loud clunking,’ though he did not see smoke. He said he waited and evacuated the building when he heard the alarm sound.