Swim teams crush Maine, earn conference win

The Boston University men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams dominated in a sweep over the University of Maine on Saturday in Orono.

‘We had a happy group coming home on the bus,’ said BU Coach Reagh Wetmore.

BU completely outperformed an America East opponent, and the men snapped a three-meet losing streak while the women won their second consecutive meet for the first time this season.

The men won their meet in convincing fashion, 225-72, improving their record to 2-3.

‘The Terrier men clearly dominated the meet from beginning to end,’ Wetmore said.

BU got the meet started with a win in the 200 relay. Sophomore Chris Collins, freshmen Ryan Falk and Mike Kelly and junior Jay Toutant combined to finish one full second ahead of the second place Maine squad.

There were a number of double winners for the BU men. Senior Doug Mark took first in both the 500 and 1,000 free. Kelly got back on track winning both the 50 and 100 free. Toutant scored victories in the 100 and 200 backstroke. Falk won both the 100 and 200 breaststroke, and took second in the 200 individual medley.

Senior captain Scott Harrower finished first in the 100 butterfly. Chris Collins won the 200 individual medley and took second in both the 100 and 200 backstroke. BU also took three top finishes in the 200 freestyle with junior Ryo Takano finishing first followed by sophomores David Brown and Ian Chamberland.

The divers came up huge for BU in the meet. The men swept the three-meter event with sophomore standout Victor Paguia finishing first, junior Daniel Brown coming in second and sophomore Louis Martinez placing third. Paguia also took first in the one-meter event with Martinez finishing second.

The men ended the meet with a solid win in the 400 relay. Takano, Toutant, Chamberland, and Kelly combined for the victory.

‘They dominated the meet,’ Wetmore said. ‘They didn’t give Maine much of a chance at all.’

The BU women got a winning streak going for the first time this season improving their record to 2-4. They won, 174-125, taking first in 11 out of 16 events, despite losing both relays by narrow margins.

Senior captain Karissa Lopez was the star for the Terriers. She was a triple winner, finishing first in the 100 and 200 butterfly and in the 200 individual medley. She has been one of the most consistent performers for the women this season.

Another strong swimmer has been freshman Meagan Breiland. She took first in both the 50 and 100 free. This is the fourth straight meet in which Breiland has won both events.

Sophomore Lauren Foster, who had been out sick from practice all week, took first in the 200 free and freshman Natalie Boyd finished a close second. Senior Ingrid Salazar came through with a win in the 1000 free.

Senior Kelli Sweeting, who had also been sick, won a victory in the 200 backstroke, and senior Laurie Green finished first in the 100 breaststroke.

Sophomore Sylvia Golle won both the one-meter and three-meter events for the fifth time this season, and juniors Stacey Gallacher and Kristen Stratton came up big by finishing second and third, respectively, in both events.

‘Both teams really won quite handily,’ said Wetmore.