Give new Israeli parties a chance

This week, Israel heads to the polls to elect its next Prime Minister and parliament. These elections are of the utmost importance to Israel, for they will decide the country’s policy on defending itself in the event of war in Iraq, complex social issues, and Israel’s ongoing war on terror. But the elections are not only important for Israelis. As Americans, we will be directly affected by the outcome as well. The Bush Administration and our media outlets are watching closely, as the war on terror, intelligence cooperation, and our involvement in the Middle East all take a different shape depending on who is voted in. But everyone focuses too much on the two major parties, Amram Mitzna’s Labor and Ariel Sharon’s Likud, while ignoring others that may play decisive roles in the years to come. The Shinui (meaning ‘change’) Party might be the party that replaces Labor as the alternative to Likud, though it receives little attention in the U.S. press. Their support for a Palestinian state achieved within the framework of an agreement that provides security for Israel is logical and realistic. While giving no quarter to terrorists, they are willing to uproot Jewish communities in the territories, and make other painful concessions in return for Israel’s inclusion with its Arab neighbors. What makes Shinui attractive to so many Israelis is its uncompromising stance against Ultra-Orthodox power. It is the party that defends individual liberties and the rights of minorities, as guaranteed by the Proclamation of Independence. Shinui is leading the fight to take the excessive funds that the Ultra-Orthodox parties secure for their schools and community, and use it instead in state social, cultural, and welfare projects. Shinui also believes that all Israeli citizens, including Ultra-Orthodox and Arabs, must serve in the military or national service, instead of relying on state handouts while others defend the existence of the country. Shinui is Israel’s best hope for a strong, safe, and prosperous future. A secure Israel ensures the protection of America’s interests. It is up to us as Americans to pay attention these crucial elections, and to look beyond the two old-fashioned parties that get all the coverage in our media. Lazar Berman CAS ’03