Immaturity hurts guest reform

We are aware of a number of discussions, both public and private, regarding the modifications to Boston University’s guest visitor policy. While the modifications Chancellor Silber’s committee made do not mirror our proposal, we believe they are a worthwhile step in the right direction. It is now our duty as responsible adults to set a positive standard which shall justify future amendments.

After consulting security assistants, it has come to our attention that a number of visiting students are mistreating the current process. Writing obscene reasons for visiting (no matter how witty), harassing security assistants and disregarding curfew hours are some of the main offenses. Regardless of any disdain we may feel toward the policy, these forms of protest jeopardize these and future modifications.

We also realize there is some confusion regarding the changes. Below are the SparkNotes to the lengthy online report.

All ‘resident’ BU students will have access to large dormitories. a. 7 a.m. 12 a.m. Sunday through Thursday (from 8 p.m. 12 a.m. students can self swipe using the new blue forms). Additionally, students may be signed in until 1 a.m. Friday and Saturday. b. Students must leave dorms by 1 a.m. Sunday through Thursday and 2:30 a.m. Friday and Saturday.

The same magic times apply for non-BU and off-campus students.

Guest Passes have been increased from five to seven per semester.

Emergency passes will be given to immediate family members regardless of sex.

These modifications have been a long time coming, and we believe the student body has earned these changes. However, for others, the jury is still out, and we must work together to show our dependability.

Ethan Clay, CAS ’04, President, Student Union Sumit Mittal, CAS ’05, VP Residence Life, Student Union Emily Hemphill, CAS ’03, President, BU Free