STAFF EDIT: Basketball merits support

It might not have section 8, and there may not be a life or death rivalry with Boston College, but ‘The Roof’ can rock just as loud as Walter Brown. It sure did on Saturday. The Boston University men’s basketball team, now 6-1 in the America East, may just be the best team on campus right now, but not many people seem to notice.

After an NCAA Tournament berth last season, the Terriers are on track to earn another this year, with perhaps a higher seed and a more plausible chance for a Cinderella upset. Still, no one seems to notice.

The 1,515 people in attendance on Saturday against Northeastern created an atmosphere more like BU-BC hockey and less like BU-NU basketball. While many fans attended the game with hopes of getting Beanpot tickets through a post-game promotion, let’s hope those who came for the hockey will come back for the basketball. Even though the Terriers fell to the Huskies, the game went down to the wire and the players proved that while this may not be Duke, North Carolina or Indiana, America East basketball can be entertaining.

For those who say they can’t get excited about basketball around here because the Terriers will never compete for a national championship, it’s time to look at things with a little different perspective. Sure, they won’t be in the Final Four, and they probably won’t make the Sweet 16, but how about a first-round upset? While Maryland and Indiana may play for the national title, how about that first-round shocker that everyone loves. Valparaiso, Hampton, Boston University?

At a university where hundreds of people line up in the middle of the night for tickets to a sport that 75 percent of schools in the country either don’t have or don’t care about, it’s about time that people start filling the seats and making some noise for a team that could shock the basketball world on the biggest stage in college sports: March Madness. We should have the attention span to support two teams as they look to advance and prove their worth against national competition.