Strummer’s death untimely

I want to thank Ken Partridge for his piece about the passing and memory of Joe Strummer ‘Joe Strummer’s lifetime of Clashing,’ Jan. 23, Muse pg. 3). Ever since I heard about Strummer’s death over winter break, I’ve been surprised by just how little of a reaction there’s been overall. I guess it’s just wishful thinking of mine that more people would be listening to the Clash or Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros and make a bigger deal out of Strummer’s passing. If you haven’t taken the time to listen to these bands, you really should just give them a try. If you’ve never heard the Clash, chances are one of your favorite bands has, a lot. Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros also made some of the coolest and most unique music I’ve heard in years.

In my opinion, Joe Strummer couldn’t have died at a worse time. I’ve heard that the Clash will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this March. Recently, former Clash member Mick Jones played a couple of shows with Joe and the Mescaleros as well. In my mind, this meant one thing: the Clash would play together at their Hall of Fame induction (not to mention, if my information is correct, jam with AC/DC at the end). But now that’s impossible, and any chance I had of seeing any form of the Clash live died with Strummer.

Thanks for writing, Ken. I think the Clash were one of the most underrated bands ever, and now that there’s no chance of them ever re-forming to remind the world of everything they did, it’s good to see people getting the word out.

Also, for anyone who’s interested, there are two charities the Mandela SOS organization and the Future Forests organization that Joe was involved in, and his family is asking for donations to them in his memory. More information on the Strummer memorial charities is available at www.epitaph.com.