A call to Native Americans

n I would like to thank The Daily Free Press for its extended coverage of the debate over minority enrollment at BU. However, I find that most of the articles emphasize minority recruitment over the related issue of retention. What kind of community do minority students find once they arrive? In my four years at Boston University, I have yet to meet another Native American student.

I know there must be other Native Americans on campus, but we lack official or unofficial representation as an independent group. Therefore, I would like to invite students with any degree of Native American heritage, as well as any other interested individuals, to join me in creating an informal Native American community on campus. Before we start debating about how to recruit minority students, we should ensure that there is a vibrant community ready to welcome them. Earlier attempts to create an official organization proved futile; therefore, the simplest way to overcome this communication barrier is to have interested students contact me at bu_natives@yahoo.com. Thank you, and tell your friends.

Jessica Kiser

CAS/COM ’03