The Truth about Roe v. Wade

I have to say that I’ve enjoyed reading all of the letters recently about Roe v. Wade. However, I think everyone is missing what the ruling really means. Essentially, the ruling says that states cannot outlaw abortion, due to a woman’s right to privacy. If Roe v. Wade is overturned, it does not mean that abortion will be outlawed immediately. Instead, it gives the states the option to outlaw abortion. It would be at the discretion of the individual state legislatures to pass such a law. As a result, abortion would probably be legal in some states and illegal in others. That would put the abortion debate back where it belongs: the individual states. Also, next time you think about Roe v. Wade, look at it this way: this ruling says that a woman has a right to do what she wants with her body, but drug use and prostitution are illegal. Shouldn’t these fall under the category of a woman’s (or man’s) right to privacy? For that matter, where exactly did the Supreme Court find the right to privacy in the Constitution? I’ve looked, and I can’t seem to find it.

Jeff Hexel CAS ’05 (914) 456-8518