All cultures deserve respect

When you first start to read Jacob Cote’s “The look of love”, it’s rather impressive (Feb. 12, pg. 3). However, as you continue through his patriotic column, it’s appalling the way he chooses to depict Muslim marriages and their link to al Qaeda. First let us say, most Muslims do not believe in the fanatical preaching of these extremists. Some would go as far as to say they are not true believers of Islam, which promotes democracy, equal rights and peace, much like the United States, and long before it was established. However, the ignorance came to a climax when he referred to Muslim practices as a “sickeningly destructive social order.”

Under no circumstances should a person feel they have the right to make such a statement regarding a religion practiced by billions. Looking at one regime does not represent a whole population. In Islam, women are encouraged to cover their hair and body, but it is a personal decision. Rather than gasping at the horrific idea of never being able to wear hot pants or tank tops, the benefits should be analyzed objectively. This practice prevents the objectification of women, something that is still being fought in the United States. However, it seems that some people equate liberalism with open-mindedness. To be truly open-minded is to be able to see the logic behind all beliefs, even the conservative ones. Respect is mutual, therefore you owe different cultures that much before you demand it in return. The research behind the column was poorly done as depicted by the countless inaccurate statements. To know the truth about Islam, go to the source, the Koran, and read some of the translations. Afghanistan was oppressive, and in no way does anyone understand their practices. In actuality, Islam makes women a vital part of society, gives them the right to choose their husbands and encourages them to pursue an education.

With love comes understanding, and although there is always a tendency to feel that one’s own beliefs are perfect, how about trying to be open-minded in the true sense of the word?

Bazza Alzouman SMG ’05

Nihal Al-Saleh SMG ’03