NASA research application division important, official says

Most people only associate NASA with shuttles and trips into outer space. But, according to a NASA chief technologist, the agency’s Office of Earth Science fulfills one of NASA’s other important goals: finding applications for the broad spectrum of research the agency does.

Dr. Roger King, a chief technologist for NASA’s Office of Earth Science, told a small group of Boston University students and faculty members about some of those practical scientific applications during a lecture in the Stone Science building yesterday.

During his visual presentation, entitled ‘Science for Society: NASA’s Strategy for End-to-End Solutions,’ King explained some of the functions of the Office of Earth Sciences, which include using computer technology to make ‘systematic measurements’ of the earth and the atmosphere.

‘NASA is a science agency,’ he said. ‘Our mission in the federal government is to do science … applications tries to develop answers to science questions.’

King works within the applications division of the office and said his profession finds practical uses for the research NASA performs. Though NASA is usually associated with its research division, the applications division has become more visible in recent years, King said.

‘There are a lot of socioeconomic impacts that could occur with these NASA applications,’ he explained.

Using technology and science to make energy use more efficient, predict major weather hazards, improve air quality and advance land and air transportation are some of the practical applications the office searches for, King said.

But according to King, insufficient government funding is one problem NASA faces, and the applications division is given even less of that money.

‘Science doesn’t always sell well,’ he said.

King said that although the Earth Sciences department has a roughly $1.5 billion budget, less than half of that goes to the applications division.

After his presentation, King answered questions, mostly about subjects like NASA’s budget and international relationships. He explained NASA’s educational outreach policies.

NASA places a great importance on educating the public, especially students, and tries to make its research available to students, according to King.

‘We’re trying to inspire the next generation of explorers,’ King said.

According to King, ‘trying to preserve humanity’ is one of NASA’s ultimate goals, which is why the study of earth sciences and their technological application is necessary. He explained the importance of the process of obtaining, processing and passing on information.

‘When you think of humanity in a few hundred years, what are we going to leave them?’ he asked.