W. Basketball: Paint the town red

Disregard for a moment the second half of last night’s game in which the Boston University women’s basketball team thrashed Stony Brook University by a score of 93-51 at Case Gymnasium.

Sure, the second half was impressive, as the Terriers were finally able to put a team away and win handily. But, the first half was a clinic on establishing a threat in the low post and letting that open up outside shots later in the game, when the defense starts to overplay in the paint.

It wasn’t three-point shots or fast break points that were the keys to victory, although the fast break points were the reason for the 42-point margin. It was points generated in the paint and foul shots resulting from play in the paint that helped create the offensive flow in the first half.

‘We wanted to get the ball inside and then we wanted to open things up on the outside,’ said BU coach Margaret McKeon. ‘Katie and Katie, if they’re spotting up, that’s like money.’

The money was cashed in last night, as freshman Katie Meinhardt and junior Katie Terhune both scored a game-high 23 points.

‘We’ve been trying to get the whole team going from all different parts of the court,’ said Meinhardt. ‘We got the ball in the post, shot well from the outside, and everything kind of came together better.’

The Terriers accounted for 20 of their 39 first-half points within five feet of the basket and six more points from the free throw line after getting fouled in the paint. The numbers are unique for a team that relies so heavily on its guards. The numbers are even more startling since 6’5′ BU junior Amparo Lopez picked up two fouls, both on offensive rebounds, before two minutes had even ticked off the game clock.

‘Lopez, I want to get 10 shots a game, tonight she got five, but she caused that herself by picking up two fouls in record time,’ said McKeon. ‘I think that she’s someone who can still score on the block. If we can get her some more shots it will open up the outside so much more.’

When Lopez exited with two fouls, the game was still scoreless with 18:18 to play in the first half. Her absence didn’t deter BU from focusing in the paint.

After a few more Terrier turnovers, they got the ball to sophomore forward Larissa Parr who drew a foul in the lane. After making both of her free throws, the Terriers got the ball back after a missed shot by Stony Brook. Another trip down the court meant another chance in the paint. This time junior forward Marisa Moseley drew the foul and converted the pair of free throws.

On the Terriers’ next possession, they moved the ball around, finally kicking it out to a wide-open Terhune who sank the 3-pointer to give BU a 7-5 lead with 16:02 to play. It was a lead they would never relinquish, and continue to build upon with offensive second chances in the paint and open shots on the perimeter.

‘We’re playing our best basketball right now, and this is the time you want to be playing your best basketball,’ said McKeon.

McKeon excitedly pointed out that even BU’s best basketball could still be better. If senior guard Alison Argentieri joins with the Katies and starts to convert her open shots on the perimeter, as she has the previous three seasons, the rest of the conference better watch out.

‘Watch out if Alison Argentieri starts to get things rolling,’ said McKeon. ‘If she starts to get things rolling from the outside, we’re really going to be trouble for a lot of teams.’