Valentine’s Day: a time for loving feelings, hateful memories

It’s the one day of the year when many Boston University students wear scarlet not because of ice hockey pride or general spirit, but because love is in the air.

Ah yes, it’s that time again: Valentine’s Day. In honor of the patron saint of love, many couples spend a romantic evening together exchanging flowers, candy and intimate moments. And it’s a night that can make for some interesting stories.

Mary Beth Saunders, a senior in the School of Engineering, recalled last Valentine’s Day.

‘[My boyfriend] made a trail of rose petals from the door to the bed … and got red sheets too,’ she said. ‘He got a lot of sex for that.’

Jessica Harris, a sophomore in College of Arts and Sciences, had a similar experience last year.

‘We had dinner at the Ritz then came back to champagne and made out on the bed next to the fireplace,’ she said.

Still, there are other BU students who said they want something different this Feb. 14.

‘[I don’t want] everyone to dress in red, it overwhelms my eyes,’ said CAS junior Tigist Mogus.

Still, several other students said they will spend Valentine’s Day alone this year. CAS senior Gwen Hansen is planning on making the best of being single tonight.

‘I’m going to go to a bar and drink and laugh with my friends,’ she said. ‘We’re going to make fun of all the couples doing cheesy things, but secretly we are all wishing we could be part of one of those happy couples.’

Michael O’Neil, a sophomore in the College of Engineering, said he keeps a not-so-special place in his heart for Valentine’s Day, after a heart-wrenching experience several years ago.

‘My first girlfriend [screwed] me over near Valentine’s Day,’ he said, causing his hostility toward the holiday.

‘I just want a girl to respect me,’ O’Neil said.

But some students said they will still be looking for a traditional celebration of the holiday this year. CAS sophomore Alexis Bolter said she expects a romantic evening on the town.

‘I would want flowers and candy, and then dinner in a dimly lit French restaurant,’ she said.

However, some students just can’t afford expensive dinners with wine accompaniment. O’Neil said his favorite romantic spot is smack in the middle of BU’s campus.

‘Sitting on a bench right along the Charles or the roof of Shelton is pretty romantic,’ O’Neil said.

CAS senior Michael Schulte said he thinks Kenmore Square is the prefect place for a date on Valentine’s Day.

‘It has restaurants, clubs, history not to mention the Red Sox and sits right on the line between the People’s Republic of BU and the romance of every-man’s Boston,’ he said.