‘Terrier Idol’ brings the funk to Warren Late Nite

Simon, meet Rhett.

Late Nite café in Warren Towers was packed last night as Rob Johanson was announced the winner of Terrier Idol 2003, sponsored by Boston University’s radio show ‘BU in the Morning’ on WTBU.

Johanson, a College of Communication junior, who sang and played the guitar, was one of seven musicians to perform last night. One of the judges, Student Union president Ethan Clay, summed up his performance by saying ‘awesome job.’

‘I didn’t think I’d win,’ Johanson said. ‘Everyone was so talented.’

Johanson said he auditioned for ‘Terrier Idol’ because he thought it would be great exposure for his band. Winning the competition makes the experience even better, he said.

Second place was awarded to singer, songwriter and keyboardist Phil Geddes. Geddes performed an original song that grabbed the attention of the audience.

‘You captured 99 percent of this audience,’ said Judge Vito Ellison, a COM senior.

‘You were awesome,’ Clay said.

Geddes said he was grateful for the opportunity to perform.

Third place was awarded to Jeff Rosenthal, who performed an original rap for the audience.

The seven piece band Bay State Love Machine also performed but could not be judged ‘because they are in class all their own,’ according to event coordinator Ashley Merrell.

The judges, Ellison, Clay, Vanessa Tebesceff, Joanne Soulouque-Salooh and Will Daily, were all very enthusiastic about the event.

The 16 contestants all performed on the radio and the top seven contestants were chosen to perform last night in front of a live audience, Merrell said.

Cuiboski said, despite all the talent, that Rosenthal was truly the best.

Kate Kalber, a sophomore in the College of General Studies, said she attended the event because she is obsessed with the television version of American Idol.

‘I was so excited when I found out about this event,’ Kalber said, ‘I just wish I could be up there performing with them.’

Kalber, a singer herself, said she was extremely interested in sampling the other BU talent. She said Geddes was her favorite because he is ‘amazing at the piano and has an extremely strong voice.’