Cable Access at Boston University

I was pleased to read last week that Ethan Clay and the Student Union will be pushing the administration to allow students to have access to cable service at Boston University. I have never understood our administration’s steadfast opposition to allowing cable access in the vast majority of B.U. dorms and apartments. (What I’m saying of course doesn’t apply if you live in Danielson, Hamilton House, on Beacon Street, or somewhere else off campus.) All of the rooms at B.U. are wired with a cable jack, so why not let students choose if they want to pay $45 a month for cable service? John Silber’s steadfast view we should be having intellectual discussions instead of watching television is unfounded. Already most of have access to basic network television, if we get reception at all. In the student village, where students pay over eight thousand dollars to live, they get only enhanced TV reception, not cable. Access to a more varied amount of television programming could only enhance our lives. Perhaps the most puzzling thing of all for me is that some living in BU apartments only a block from mine are able to get what I am not, even though we may pay the exact same amount. Most revealing, however, is the fact that Northeastern, Boston College, Tufts, Simmons, Brandeis, MIT, and Wentworth (where they have free cable!) give their students the opportunity to have cable access if they so choose. Boston University should give us this opportunity as well.

Adam Castiglioni COM’03 617-388-2819 acastigl@bu.edu