Men’s soccer locks up National Player of the Year, three others

While the weather outside may not be the best soccer conditions, the Boston University men’s soccer team is still making moves behind the scenes. BU coach Neil Roberts and his staff signed the cream of the high school crop, as 2002 NSCAA/Adidas National Player of the Year Zach Riffett has committed to play for the Terriers next fall.

In addition to the four-time All-American from Brenham, Texas, the Terriers have also received commitments from three other student-athletes during the early signing period. These players include Ryan Dreyer out of Key Biscane, Fla.; Peter Doty from Pass Christian, Miss.; and Zach Kirby of Roswell, Ga.

‘So far, we are real happy with [this year’s recruitment class],’ Coach Roberts said. ‘It’s a solid class. We are starting to get the depth we have been looking for the past four or five years.’

Riffett, a goalkeeper for Brenham High School, has been a member of the Texas State Olympic Development Team since 1996 in addition to earning a spot on the National Under-17 Team in 1999 and 2000. During his career at Brenham, Riffett set a state record for shutouts with 53. A finalist for Gatorade National Player of the Year honors, Riffett was also named Gatorade Texas Player of the Year.

With the departure of senior goalkeeper Matt Smith, Roberts now has a very young trio of keepers, including current sophomore Zak Thompson and freshman Chad Comroe.

‘It’s difficult for freshmen. You don’t know how they will fit in,’ Roberts said. ‘But without any experienced goal keepers, there is a chance he [Riffett] will get some time.’

Riffett was also heavily recruited by the University of South Carolina and Wake Forest University before finally choosing to come to BU.

Kirby, a midfielder from Pope High School and a candidate for Georgia State Player of the Year, was a two-time All-State selection. He spent five years with the Olympic Developmental Program while earning a position in the U.S. Under-17 National team pool in 2000 and 2001.

Roberts described Kirby as a ‘big, strong and good’ defender who will likely compete for a defensive midfield spot in the Terrier starting lineup.

‘He is another kid who can play right away.’

Forward Dreyer was a 2002 National High School Coaches Association All-American during his time at Gulliver Prep of Key Biscane, Fla. He was also an All-Dade County selection. Besides starting for his high school team when they won the 2000 Florida State Championship, Dreyer was selected to the Superclub’s National Team for its 2001 European Tour.

Doty, a forward for St. Stanislaus College Prep, was a three-time All-State selection. As a two-time District Player of the Year, Doty scored 111 career goals, including 30 during his senior season, helping to lead St. Stanislaus to the Mississippi State 4A title and placing him among the top scorers in Mississippi soccer history. He has also played five seasons with the Olympic Developmental Pool with regional selections in 1998 and 2000.

As the late signing period gets under way, Roberts is looking to sign at least three more players to his roster. He said he is primarily hoping to recruit one more forward.

For the upcoming 2003 season, Roberts believes the team has the capability to play at a high level.

‘We want to be able to compete nationally, like we did half the season last year,’ he said. ‘We just have to prove we can do it for a full season.’