Support Israel to end violence

Last Friday I met with Boston University Students for Israel and added my name to a petition that hundreds of students already signed pledging support for the state of Israel. As I glanced at the names of previous signatories, I was proud to see the diversity of individuals who are also committed to finding peace in a region through supporting a great ally. There has never been a more crucial time for students to become aware of the struggle for peace in the Middle East.

The United States has sworn an oath to all nations to lead the war against terrorism. We here in Boston and all over the country have felt the pain and loss of loved ones as a result of terrorism. The United States has promised to help allies who are faced with similar attacks. We, therefore, must continue and enrich our support for Israel.

Last year I traveled to Israel and witnessed first-hand the suffering of Palestinians and Israelis alike. It saddens me to see this great democracy torn apart by violence. For the benefit of all its residents, Palestinians and Israelis, we must continue our support of Israel to bring to an end to this turmoil.

I join my colleagues Congressman Michael Capuano and Senators Edward Kennedy and John Kerry in their decision in favor of resolutions confirming U.S. commitment to Israel.

I wish the BU Students for Israel the best of luck in educating students and leaders about the importance of supporting Israel.