Tonight’s BU hockey game canceled

After snowy roads caused numerous multi-car accidents in the southeast part of the state – including a 150-car pile-up on I-95 in Attleboro, just north of the Rhode Island border – tonight’s Hockey East quarterfinal opener between Boston University and Providence College has been canceled.

Game One, originally scheduled for Providence’s Schneider Arena tonight at 7, has been postponed until tomorrow. The final two games of the best-of-three series have also been moved back a day.

“We are first and foremost concerned with the safety of those who would travel to this game, including but not limited to the Boston University team itself,” Hockey East Commissioner Joe Bertagna said in a fax released just before 2 p.m.

“From what we have heard, there is reason to believe that the team bus would have difficulty even making a delayed start.”

Free bus service to Providence for ticket-holders will still run for each game of the series, according to the BU ticket office. All ticket questions should be directed to the Providence ticket office at 401-865-2595.