Personal beliefs affect all decisions

n In “Women’s rights groups decry Bush appointee,” Linda Boulden wrote (Mar. 5, pg. 3):

“Amy Allina, program director for the National Women’s Health Network, said her organization encourages the public to call upon the FDA to restrict Hager from any decision that would be swayed by his religious beliefs.”

“‘Our concern is that on this committee, as he has in his OB/GYN practice, Dr. Hager will be bringing his personal ideological beliefs to bear on the medical decision-making that he engages in,’ she said.”

One interesting question that went unaddressed is simply this: who doesn’t bring their personal ideological beliefs to bear on their decision-making? Certainly pro-choice advocates have some sort of “personal ideological beliefs,” and clearly they leverage their frame-of-reference in decision-making contexts related to abortion. The day in which we cannot intelligently invest ourselves in making careful decisions on topics we care passionately about will be a tragic abandonment of the freedoms promised in our Bill of Rights.

William C. Cole-French

SED ’04