Students, travel companies set for break

Amid increased warnings from the FBI and Office of Homeland Security about potential terrorist attacks and the looming threat of war with Iraq, Boston students are traveling as much as they have in previous years, according to various local travel centers.

The National Rail Corporation (Amtrak) predicts that student rider-ship should be similar to last year’s levels during the same period, according to Dan Stessell, a spokesman for the railroad.

Amtrak has not increased security specifically because of Spring Break, Stessell said, but has remained in contact with the FBI and Office of Homeland Security in order to assign appropriate protection to passengers due to heightened tensions with Iraq.

Amtrak will not add capacity, but trains are already running with enough capacity to absorb the Spring Break increase, according to Stessell. Amtrak carries 37 percent of the Northeast Corridor market share between Boston and Washington D.C., more than any airline.

Greyhound Bus Lines is predicting loads similar or slightly higher than last year, according to spokeswoman Donna Stuckert. She said there is typically a 20 percent increase in ticket sales during Boston’s Spring Break season.

Massport officials were unavailable for comment yesterday, but security was noticeably tighter at Logan Airport, the origin of two of the hijacked Sept. 11 flights.

Despite the looming threat of war with Iraq and warnings from the FBI of possible terrorist attacks, BU students expressed little concern about their safety during Spring Break.

‘I’m going to Disney World,’ said Matthew Flaherty, an School of Management senior. ‘I had a free ticket, so I’m going to see Donald Duck.’

Flaherty said he was not worried about flying.

‘That’s not really a concern that I have,’ he said. ‘It could happen, but it’s just so unlikely.’

Kristen Lohwasser, a College of Communication freshman, is also traveling to Florida over Spring Break, and like Flaherty, did not worry about her safety.

‘I just want to relax and take in the sun bond with my friends,’ she said. ‘I’m working on my tan.’

Not all students are traveling, though. Alex Pederson, a first-year law student, is planning to stay in Boston. Safety was not a factor in his decision to remain at school, however, he said.

‘It seems it’s more the pocketbook than the terrorists that is keeping me home this year,’ he said. ‘I don’t know if the danger is realistic or far-fetched, but I haven’t really had any concerns, even right after Sept. 11.’