Men’s hoops falls one point short of NCAA bid

Sophomore guard Chaz Carr missed a jumper at the buzzer and the Boston University men’s basketball team missed out on a chance at its second-straight invitation to the NCAA Tournament, falling 56-55 to the University of Vermont on Saturday at “The Roof.” In front of a soldout Case Gym and a national television audience on ESPN, the Terriers overcame an early defecit, only to watch Vermont’s David Hehn drop a difficult fadeaway jumper with 2.9 seconds remaning to put the Catamounts up one. Carr’s desperation three fell short, and the large Vermont contingent stormed the court to celebrate their first NCAA tourney bid in 103 years of basketball. With the NCAA’s out of the picture, BU coach Dennis Wolff noted in his post-game press conference that he is hoping for a bid to the National Invitational Tournament. Those brackets will be announced after tonight’s NCAA selection show. For more coverage of the Terriers’ heartbreaking loss and possible trip to the NIT, grab a copy of Monday’s Daily Free Press.