Saturday Night Live comedians to yuk it up for BU Springfest

Saturday Night Live comedians Tracy Morgan and Jim Breuer will be the ‘big event’ and opening act of this year’s BUnited Springfest on March 30, Student Union Programming Council Chair Brad Morganstern said during last night’s weekly senate meeting.

The programming council spends most of the school year planning for Springfest and spends half of the money allocated to the group on the week-long festivities, Morganstern said.

‘It’s not the money, it’s bringing something good to the campus,’ he said. ‘We’re not making back our money, we are just looking to break even we are not doing this to make money.’

Tickets for the event will go on sale this weekend, Morganstern said.

Getting the star comedians to perform at BU was expensive and many other comedians, including Adam Sandler, Jack Black, George Carlin and Jon Stewart, were considered before deciding on Morgan and Breuer, Morganstern said. The other comedians were either unavailable or were too expensive, he added.

Unlike other colleges and universities who have annual carnivals to celebrate their pride, Morganstern said BU does not have the capacity to have a large carnival, and the week-long Springfest is the alternative. Morganstern said the event was a way for BU students to come together and ‘celebrate being BU.’

A small concert, a drive-in movie, a battle of the bands and events run by the College of Communication and the School of Management will be amongst the 10 events occurring between April 22 and April 27. Morganstern said events can be planned by any groups or organization who want to hold one.

Springfest was originally called the ‘spring thaw’ and included a small carnival and concert, Morganstern said. Guster came for last year’s concert, which was pushed back to the last day of school for the band’s tour scheduling considerations.

The large concert idea was rejected because there was no place on campus to fit all the students who would have wanted to attend after the Armory was demolished to make way for the Student Village project, Morganstern said.

Morganstern said events for the Springfest week would be finalized by the end of this week and be announced at next week’s senate meeting.

Student affairs committee chairperson Eric Dawson (West) discussed another event that would take place during Springfest at last night’s meeting. Dawson said BU’s version of ‘Singled Out,’ the defunct MTV television dating show, would be part of the festivities.

The ‘show’ would take place on April 24, although Dawson said the event’s details have not yet been finalized.

Dawson said the male and female who would ask questions in the show would likely be chosen through an application process, but could be the winners of the upcoming Mr. and Miss Boston University contest sponsored by the Union service council.

‘We don’t want to be biased as to who we picked,’ Dawson said.

OTHER BUSINESS

Union senators spent the first 15 minutes of last night’s meeting listening via radio to President George W. Bush’s national address about impending war with Iraq.

Senators also allocated $125 to the Union Safety Services Committee for an event in which the Boston University police will once again be in the George Sherman Union link to register bikes, laptops and other commonly stolen items for students. Police will be in the GSU Wednesday and Thursday.

Members of senate also announced changes to the ‘backdoor’ portion of the Union website to include a new virtual tour of select rooms across campus.