Sloshed students celebrate

Only in Boston on St. Patrick’s Day can one get leied and chug a green beer for two dollars.

P.J. Kilroy’s, an Irish pub on Beacon Street, ran St. Patrick’s Day specials all day long yesterday, offering green beer, free leis and free green beads. It was one of the few bars in town not charging a cover on the holiday.

Celebrations began at 11 a.m. and lasted until closing. Green shirts and hats were the standard attire at the small Irish pub, which was decorated with green Budweiser advertisements and green, drunk students.

P. J. Kilroy’s offers $2 drafts of green Budweiser or Busch, allowing its customers the opportunity to celebrate the holiday in true Irish style: green and drunk.

Mike O’ Haran, bartender at P.J. Kilroy’s, said he celebrates St. Patrick’s Day by getting drunk, hitting on women and giving out tattoos – all just part of the job. He experienced a fanfare and attention to his holiday attire of a shamrock vest and green top hat.

The local pub, obviously busier than usual for a Monday night, entertained local college students for a fun night of drinking in celebration of the Irish holiday.

Charles Van Dyke, a College of Arts and Sciences student, said the holiday’s meaning to him was summed up in one word, ‘Guinness.’

‘It gives me a chance to celebrate my Irish heritage,’ Van Dyke said.

Deshea Stone, a student in the School of Hospitality, agreed, saying she associates St. Patrick’s Day with green beer.

Celebration of this fun-loving drinking holiday ranged from eating traditional Irish food and drinking whiskey to speaking with fake Irish accents. St. Patrick’s Day is a day when many pretend to be Irish just for the day.

‘I eat Irish food. I drink. I don’t really like Irish food, but I eat it anyway. The drinking being the main thing,’ said Marta Ostovich, a student in University Professors about her typical celebration routine.

Some people may not be of Irish blood, but still feel they can connect with the Irish in other ways. Mattheson Perry listens to Irish music to get a sense of what it means to be Irish.

‘I know I’m not Irish, but I listen to U2 a lot,’ he said.