Students critical of Bush war address

Boston University students reacted skeptically last night after gathering in the George Sherman Union to watch President George W. Bush declare that Saddam Hussein has 48 hours to vacate Iraq in a national address from the White House.

Bush, speaking on the deadline which would have been in effect had the United States and Britain succeeded in passing a United Nations Security Council resolution last month, said the United States will use military force if Hussein and his sons refuse to leave Iraq. Bush said United States troops will invade the country ‘at a time of our choosing’ if they refuse to leave.

Bush also urged foreign correspondents and diplomats to ‘leave immediately.’

Bush also directed his speech to the Iraqi military, urging them not to fight back and let United States troops peacefully enter Iraq. If they did so, he said they will not be harmed.

Bush made references to Iraq’s links with al-Qaeda and other terrorist organizations and the said this war would put a stop to Hussein’s tyrannical regime.

Several students said they were not impressed, after viewing the speech on televisions in the GSU.

College of Arts and Sciences sophomore John Healy said though he thought the speech was well-delivered, but did not agree with Bush’s ideas.

‘Pre-emptive war is a horrible idea,’ he said. ‘The threat is suspected, not demonstrated. It may be politically necessary, but not moral.’

Attacking Iraq will also set up a dangerous precedent, he said.

‘This sets a precedent for the [United States] to attack anyone with little demonstrable proof,’ Healy said.

An even more significant issue is the United States’ current rift with the United Nations in pursuing military action.

‘I think the lack of willingness Bush showed to work with other leaders is the worst and most foreboding aspect of this whole conflict,’ Healy said.

Cordelia Chadwick, a CAS sophomore, also said she was conflicted about attacking the country.

‘I have such mixed feelings about this,’ she said. ‘His rhetoric is dangerous, but war is inevitable.’

Chadwick said the best thing to do would be to contain the war on terrorism to just Iraq because of the dangerous implications of spreading military action elsewhere.

‘What is this going to mean to people of the world?’ she said. ‘I’m scared.’

Other students took a more cynical approach to the speech. College of General Studies freshman Ramin Bajoghli said he is not sure Bush is in this simply to dislodge a dangerous dictator.

‘I think Bush has different motives for the war,’ Bajoghli said.

Bajoghli attributed Bush’s push for war for business reasons. He said he thought Bush wanted war for access to Iraq’s oil wells.

But Bajoghli said he also disagreed with Bush’s tactics.

‘The way he gave his speech was convincing because he appealed to emotions,’ Bajoghli said.

Bajoghli said he thought Bush used Sept. 11 as a ploy to garner support for the war with Iraq.

‘What happened with Sept. 11 had nothing to do with Iraq,’ he said. ‘I don’t think it was the right tactic to use.’

However, Bajoghli said he considered it his responsibility as a citizen to remain aware of Bush’s further actions. Citizens always have the recourse democracy has always allowed if they disagree with the country’s leaders, he said.

‘If we disagree, we can voice our opinion in the 2004 election,’ he said.