Response to Silber’s statements: Rape Facts

I am writing in response to an article that appeared in the Daily Free Press on 3/6/03 that discussed Boston University chancellor John Silber’s statements about rape. According to the article, Silber said that “If you want to stop rape, stop using the T… don’t wander around late at night…no city is absolutely safe”. Safety is always a primary concern, especially for women, in a city. However, by saying taking safety precautions will stop rape grossly misrepresents facts about rape. It also blames victims for crimes perpetrated against them. To rape someone is a conscious choice made by a perpetrator. The victim is never at fault. Societal myths about rape tell us that rapes occur late at night in dark alleys by a stranger. This is a myth, a stereotype. In reality, 65-80% of rapes are perpetrated by someone the survivor knows-a friend, family member, neighbor, classmate, co-worker or dating partner. Furthermore, 80% of rapes occur in a home or residence.

One in three women and one in seven men will be survivors of sexual assault before the age of 18. One in four women and one in twelve men will be survivors of rape or attempted rape at some point in their lives. It takes great courage and strength to come forward about a sexual assault. There are rape crisis centers with trained counselors that have 24 hour hotlines and medical advocates. Please call 617-492-7273 (RAPE) if you or someone you know is in need of help.

Sincerely, Sarah Dawgert, SSW ’02 Boston Area Rape Crisis Center, Public Education and Volunteer Coordinator