Paying for the internet

dear freep:

I was hardly shocked nor amazed to find out that BU is once again raising the cost of living for her students. In an effort to collect more revenue for what has become an industry that controls this entire portion of town, and charges its students an exorbitant amount to attend, the business giants that send the bills to our parents have decided that an extra hundred dollar charge will now be added to our room fee in order to pay for internet access. In a letter that was distributed to on campus students, we were told that we may decline the service, which in actuality is “saving us money.” It is hard to believe that this rediculous charge of such an arbitrary, even amount can save money compared to the amount we now pay for such services– nothing. As a com student it is imperative to have access to the internet, and BU has given me no real choice in the matter, seeing as how most other network servers offer only full year contracts. This icing on the cake of debt only further shows the rediculousness of tuition costs and at this point BU knows that the added cost on these bills piling up won’t make a difference to the average student who will be paying these off well into middle age. Maybe with the money BU makes off of this they can finally buy more tapestries to match the one they have placed inside the alumni building next to SMG.

sincerely, Samuel Lisenco thedude@bu.edu 917-865-2129 COM – 2006