PRC moves to new home

After moving down Commonwealth Avenue to a new location, Boston University’s Photographic Resource Center officials said they are accepting submissions of photographs to inaugurate their new location, 832 Commonwealth Ave.

The exhibition, entitled, ‘Your Work Here,’ is open to everyone with a photographic piece they would like to display, said PRC executive director Terrence Morash.

‘We want people to know that we are a community-based organization, not just a gallery,’ Morash said.

The PRC will begin accepting submissions on March 28 and will continue the exhibition until Apr. 13. The show is designed to inaugurate the new facility and let people know about the new location.

The PRC’s move is due to the expiration of the lease on their former location, coupled with BU’s desire to use that space for another purpose, Morash said. But Morash said the PRC is delighted with the new location because it is more visible. Unlike the former basement facility, the new location, albeit smaller, ‘will be seen by hundreds of people on the ‘T’ every day,’ Morash said.

‘[The heightened visibility] will make sure people know where we are,’ he said.

Additionally, the new gallery is located across the street from the Boston University Art Gallery and next to the 808 Commonwealth Ave. Gallery, making the area ‘a destination for the arts,’ Morash said.

According to a press release issued earlier last week, the move to 832 Commonwealth Ave. is ‘the PRC’s fourth on-campus home since it became affiliated with the University in 1978.’ Under the affiliation, the university provides the PRC with rent-free space for its gallery, and all members of the BU community are automatic members of the PRC.

Membership provides free admission to the gallery and exhibitions, as well as discounts on the prices of lectures and workshops.

The Photographic Resource Center is an independent organization that provides ‘exhibition, education, and resources’ related to photography, Morash said. Exhibitions take the form of shows like ‘Your Work Here’ as well as displays of the works of professional photographers.

The Center also routinely holds educational lectures and workshops in photography-related areas. A bi-monthly newsletter, a website and an extensive photographic library constitute the PRC’s resources.

As part of the new location’s inauguration, Morash said the center will be hosting several other events, including speakers talking about their photographic work.