Allstonites Cave In come into their own

It’s not an exaggeration to say that the world is currently spiraling toward Armageddon. Signs of the apocalypse are popping up like Starbucks on every street corner, and even previously escapist distractions like television and magazines are further reminders of impending doom.

Somehow, Cave In managed to set this general mood to music Saturday night at Avalon, and all before they even launched into a single song. The band started their set with several minutes of ear-busting feedback and shrieking guitar noise, reminiscent of air raid sirens, yet somehow more disturbing and less predictable. This isn’t to say it was completely unpleasant; in fact the oddly appealing display of guitar angst set the tone for much of what was to follow.

Headlining a tour that includes fellow Boston rockers Piebald and the Damn Personals, Methuen-raised and Allston-residing Cave In is currently riding high on the heels of their latest album, Antenna, its major label debut. The disc blends the two strains that run throughout the entire Cave In catalog: brutal metallic thrashing and Radiohead-like space-pop.

Answering critics who have chastised the band for becoming overly abstract and elliptical, much of the group’s new material is more streamlined. Opening the show with the new song ‘Inspire,’ singer Stephen Brodsky’s showed his ability to command a powerful voice, both ferocious and creative at the same time. The songs overflow with some amazing hooks as well, like on the standout ‘Rubber and Glue.’ Imagine walking through a construction site and somehow hearing amongst the jackhammers tunes reminiscent of ’80s German metal gods the Scorpions in a good way, of course.

Cave In fails, however, in its inability to focus these two very different sides of their sound. Some parts of the show were amazingly energetic, as drummer John-Robert Conners banged on his kit like his life depended on it. Other times, the noodling guitar noodled a bit too long, and seven minutes later you’re wondering, ‘Is this still the same song?’

But rock ‘n’ roll, like life, shouldn’t be predictable. Sometimes you’re banging your head, and sometimes you’re letting it wander. Hats off to Cave In for forging a soundtrack to these troubled times.