Extortion or an Option?

Two days ago, I, like all the other students that plan to live on campus next year, recieved a letter from the comptroller’s office informing me that in order to have ResNet internet access next year, I would have to pay an additional fee of $100. My immidiate reaction was that this is completely unfair, and since then, continuing to think about it has only made me feel stronger about it. I find that it comes at a very convenient time for the school’s money-making body, a few weeks after our non-refundable housing deposit of $500 was due. I was even more dismayed when I read in yesterday’s (March 27) letter to the editor that it would also be necessary to pay the fee in order to use on-campus computer labs. At the same time, BU is telling faculty members to move away from giving out paper handouts and requesting that all teachers put their classwork on the internet. When it comes down to it, this amounts to extortion. BU is saying, “Pay us the $100 or you can’t have your classwork.” Another problem is that of people with multiple computers. Personally, I have two. Am I going to have to pay $200 to use both? Or, if I’m able to register both of them under my name, why not register my roommate’s computer, too? And if I’m going to register his, why not my friend’s, and his buddy, and some guy he met last week that needs internet access? Just have them slip me $10 on the side. This is yet another case of BU acting before it thinks. It will be impossible to truly implement this. It will do nothing to help with the number of people using ResNet for things like downloading copyrighted materials and using things that are not allowed in the dorms, like wireless hubs and routers. There is no way this can be properly implemented, and, although it will lose face in doing so, BU should admit its mistake and go back to not charging extra for ethernet. Raise board $100, but don’t try to disguise it as an “optional” fee.

Eric Larson CFA ’05 617-784-9319