Greens host campaign finance rally

The Boston University Green Party will begin a series of events promoting campaign finance reform during a rally tonight at 6 p.m. in the College of Communication.

The rally has been dubbed the ‘Granny D Shakedown!’ after Doris ‘Granny D’ Haddock, 93, an active supporter of campaign finance reform. In 1998 Haddock walked 3,200 miles from California to Washington, D.C. to promote campaign reform awareness. She will be the keynote speaker at tomorrow’s event.

Massachusetts Green party gubernatorial candidate Jill Stein will speak following Haddock’s speech.

Democracy Matters’ Jay Mandle, Public Campaign’s David Donnelly and Giovanna Negretti of Oiste! will kick off the evening, which will also feature live music by Bay State Love Machine.

The event kicks off a five-part series sponsored by the BU Greens, BU Democracy Matters and Love Art Action.

BU Green Party president Karlo Silbiger said he is often questioned about why he promotes campaign finance reform in a time riddled with seemingly larger issues including the war in the Middle East. But, he said, all political issues revolve around the influx of money into the political process, something the event will seek to educate students and the public about.

‘Every political issue depends on money in government, it can all be traced back to that root,’ Silbiger said. ‘What we’re getting at tomorrow is the root of all political problems in the United States.’

The event’s sponsors have promoted the event across Boston, including other universities and public gathering places. They anticipate upward of 200 people to attend the event.

Silbiger especially encouraged students concerned with students’ lack of equal voice to attend the lecture.

‘We see it as our main issue educate the student body about issues like campaign finance reform,’ he said. ‘Everyone is affected by them.’