Redeeming high school drama

Admit it: You despise high school theatre. You never want to have to sit through another poorly executed and horribly directed production of ‘Our Town’ or ‘The Crucible’ ever again. Don’t worry you’re not alone. So when you first hear that this weekend marks the 72nd annual Boston Glove State Drama Festival, you immediately think of 4,000 other things you would rather be doing than watching another high school production. But trust me, these 15 award-winning one-acts will definitely amaze and astonish you.

According to its mission statement, The Massachusetts High School Drama Guild, Inc. ‘exists for the charitable and educational purpose of promoting and strengthening excellence, access, and education in the theatrical arts for middle and secondary school students and teachers.’ The largest annual event of the non-profit organization, the Drama Festival functions on a three-level system preliminary, semi-final, and state. At each level of the competition, high school drama programs from across Massachussetts present 40-minute productions, which are judged and critiqued by local theatre professionals.

Out of more than 100 public, private and parochial high schools that competed in the Drama Festival this year, 15 have been selected to attend The Boston Globe State Drama Festival, which begins today and lasts until Saturday at John Hancock Hall in Copley Square.

During tonight’s session, Winthrop High School explores a girl’s hilarious attempt to finish a paper in ‘The Chronicles of Jane, Book Seven,’ Wachusett Regional High School of Holden presents ‘Beyond Tolerance,’ and Boston Latin School traces the decline of WASP culture with scenes from A.R. Gurney’s ‘The Dining Room.’ The first session runs from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

During Friday afternoon’s session, Hamilton Wenham Regional High School stages ‘World Without Memory,’ Attleboro High School presents Stephen Gregg’s funny and sharp ‘This is a Test,’ The Bromfield School of Harvard presents Douglas Post’s ‘Detective Sketches,’ and Minnechaug Regional High School presents Ellen Byron’s love story ‘Asleep on the Wind.’ The second session runs from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.

During Friday evening’s session, St. John’s Preparatory School of Danvers presents a staged version of Seamus Heaney’s translation of ‘Beowulf,’ Lynnfield High School presents a cut version of Tina Howe’s ‘Museum’ (which was produced last year in CFA) and Reading Memorial High School presents Alan Ayckbourn’s hilarious ‘Gosforth’s Fete.’ The third session runs from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.

During the final session on Saturday, Weston High School stages a 40-minute version of Shakespeare’s ‘Pericles, Prince of Tyre,’ Framingham High School presents ‘Haymarket Eight,’ Middleboro High School presents a cut version of Kevin Henkes’ ‘Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse,’ Lexington High School stages a highly-anticipated original production entitled ‘The Accidents of Light’ and Peabody Veterans Memorial High School presents Marivaux’s ‘The Triumph of Love.’ The fourth session runs from 1 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.

The Boston Globe State Drama Festival is held at John Hancock Hall in Copley Square. Tickets for each of the four sessions are $7 and may only be purchased at the John Hancock Hall Box Office. For further information about the festival, visit the Massachussetts High School Drama Guild website at www.mhsdg.com.