Students and deans meet at fourth Deans’ Luncheon

Twenty-eight Boston University students representing 10 different colleges came together with eight deans, two associate deans, Provost Dennis Berkey and Chancellor John Silber yesterday for an informal lunch open forum to discuss student concerns in The Castle.

The event, organized by Student Union vice president of Student Affairs Dave Bresler, gave students an opportunity to interact with administrators, discuss academic issues and to potentially come up with possible resolutions to some campus issues.

Deans addressed student concerns on campus, which ranged from grade inflation to the new summer credit transfer policy, according to Bresler.

‘There was a lengthy discussion about grade inflation,’ Bresler said.

Although addressing the students’ issues was the topic of the forum, the main purpose of the event was to let students and deans get to know each other on a more personal basis.

Bresler said this sort of informal lunch environment makes the administration more student-accessible. He also said students often walk away with the deans’ business cards or other contact information. As Bresler described it, ‘Nothing can replace getting to know the deans.’

College of General Studies freshman Noah Sheer agreed with Bresler and said he was glad to have this opportunity.

As a member of the CGS government, Sheer attended the forum with hopes of speaking to CGS dean Linda Wells about ways he feels the students can improve the college as a whole.

Bresler also said CGS students discussed possibly creating their own dean’s luncheon with Wells exclusively.

Melissa Giresi, a School of Management freshman, shared a comparable concern. Her reason for attending the lunch forum was to meet SMG dean Louis Lataif in person and ask him about what he feels SMG students can do to raise the rating of their school.

Giresi also mentioned that she felt the forum was a good opportunity for her, as a freshman, to learn more about BU.

The deans expressed similar opinions to those of the students.

University Professors program director Sir Hans Kornberg said he remembers being a very involved undergraduate himself, and noted how the forum was a ‘great opportunity to meet students from other schools.’

Silber agreed, saying it was ‘a way for students and the administration to stay in touch.’

Berkey, who has attended all four of the dean’s luncheons to date, said although the events have been successful for meeting students, no resolutions have yet been accomplished.

Students involved were selected through an application process organized by the student government of each individual college. Every college had at least one representative this semester and most had two or more.

The Student Union selected students who presented ‘unique academic issues,’ according to Bresler. In previous years, these issues have included internship opportunities and academic credit policies.

The Student Union has been organizing this event every semester since the fall of 2001.