Yellow ribbons symbolize hope

As one of the people who spent time lining the trees of Bay State Road with yellow ribbon, I could not be happier to read a recent letter in The Daily Free Press discussing the illogical, profane tactics of some anti-war protesters (‘Protesters’ vandalism ironic,’ March 26, pg. 10).

I would like to begin by clarifying for those ignorant few what the yellow ribbons symbolize. They are not a sign of pro-war sentiment. Rather, they are a symbol of hope. Hope that all of our soldiers will return to their loved ones unharmed. Logically, one would think that anti-war protesters would support the ideas behind the yellow ribbons because one who does not promote war should also not promote death caused by war.

All I ask is that those who chose to protest the war are knowledgeable. It is in human nature to believe that war is a bad thing. However, if that is your only point, then you may want to reconsider your stance on this war. Everybody wants peace, but sometimes you have to work for it. Saddam has been given numerous opportunities to step down and allow the people of Iraq to form their own government. But Saddam has refused every offer and has made it blatantly clear that he will not leave Iraq without a fight. The fact that some Iraqis and even some of Saddam’s own soldiers have been aiding the coalition forces should be evidence enough that the people of Iraq are begging for a change and need some help to oust their main roadblock Saddam.

However, you and I live in America where we do have the freedom of speech and the freedom to have our own opinion about the war with Iraq. As an individual with loved ones fighting over seas, I simply ask that the yellow ribbons be left intact as a symbol that all hope is not lost. I live with a lovely ‘F- War’ sign posted in the window across the street. If I can peacefully live with that sign staring me in the face every time I walk out the front door, then I believe even those against the war can live with a few yellow ribbons showing hope for our soldiers.