Give Greeks a Chance

Name: Katie Hollencamp, vp Foundation, Delta Gamma Sorority email: katebu@bu.edu phone:617-352-2924 school: SMG 2005 Though most of Boston University may not have known, March 24-30 marked Greek Week for all campus fraternities and sororities. This week consisted of events hosted by each chapter in order to raise money for their philanthropies and bond the Greek system as a whole. I would like to take this opportunity to highlight all the good work for the community done by the Greek system, since your paper has seen fit to run comics that demoralize sororities with unfounded stereotypes, presuming we are all just like the girls you see on MTV’s Sorority Life. On Sunday, the Delta Gamma Sorority planned Anchor Bowl, an all-day football tournament for the fraternities, which was to be followed by a Powderpuff game among the sororities. Unfortuneately, the city of Brookline closed the field due to rain and the tournament was postponed. But ever-able to turn what could have been a bad day into a positive experience, members of the Greek community rallied to use this opportunity to help those in need. Two members of Delta Gamma, a friend from Kappa Sigma, and their Greek advisor headed to Subway after the field was closed. They picked up over 30 feet in Subway sandwiches that were ordered for the tournament and drove them to “The Pine Street Inn,” a homeless shelter across town. These sandwiches were enough to feed over 150 people. This is but one small example of how much the Greek community, the larget stuent-run organization on campus, has contributed this year. Over this semester, members of the fraternities and sororities at BU have attended each other’s lip syncs, Greek god contests, Charles River clean-ups, and cancelled football tournaments in support of each other and in order to help several noble causes. Greeks are involved throughout campus; planning dance marathon, acting in various theater groups, and even participating in the Mr. and Miss BU pageant. I write this so that instead of focusing on stereotypes illustrated by one unfair author, the student body can be fully aware of what the Greek system is really about: forming lasting friendships and working to benefit the community. So the next time you watch Fraternity Life, remember that it is just a TV show, it is not real life, it does not dictate what Greek life is like on every campus. To judge sorority and fraternity members before you know them is to be guilty of stereotyping, and instead, why not give Greeks a chance?