IFSC celebrates ‘Greek Week’

Boston University fraternities and sororities will finish their annual Greek Week celebration tonight with a ‘Greek Awards’ ceremony for Greek life participants, Inter-Fraternity Sorority Council officials said last week.

IFSC held events for the celebration all last week, with events planners said were intended to make the Greek community more visible on campus and bring members of the Greek community together for fun and entertainment.

Fraternity and sorority members participated in events like skits, lip-synching, sports on Nickerson Field and fund-raising activities last week. The celebration will conclude tonight.

The goal is just to ‘have fun and bring unity to the Greek system,’ said IFSC chairman Mike Peterson.

‘It’s a kind of revival to motivate chapters for the rest of the semester to put on other events,’ he said.

Greek Week is also a ‘culmination of the year’s effort,’ according to Student Activities Office Greek advisor Seth Rosenzweig.

‘[We want to] glorify Greek life and acknowledge the year’s hard work,’ Rosenzweig said.

In addition to having fun, the week-long celebration is designed to bring visibility to the Greek community, Peterson said.

‘Every chapter wears its letters throughout the week,’ Peterson said.

The organizers are striving to highlight the Greek community’s philanthropy and community service initiatives and promote the positive aspects of Greek life.

Rosenzweig stressed that the Greek community does ‘not want to create segregation’ with Greek Week, so all events were open to the public.

‘Most of the events will be attended by the Greek community, but all others are welcome,’ Peterson said.

Although Greek Week is an effort to promote Greek life, it is ‘not used in terms of a rush,’ Peterson said.

The focus of this week is to show the ‘positive benefits of Greek life that are often overlooked due to negative stereotypes,’ Rosenzweig said.

‘Greek Week is what Greek life is all about brotherhood, sisterhood, philanthropy, community service and the feeling of a smaller community within a large university,’ Rosenzweig said.