SNL comedians entertain packed Metcalf Hall

Comedians Jim Breuer and Tracy Morgan, both former Saturday Night Live cast members and self-proclaimed best friends, entertained students with their explicit blend of stoner humor in front of a packed GSU Metcalf Hall last night.

The event, called ‘Sunday Night Live,’ was put on by Boston University’s Programming Council, Student Activities Organization and the Student Union.

Morgan immediately mentioned the overwhelmingly female audience and the lack of a black presence, likening BU to an episode of Dawson’s Creek.

‘I don’t f- with the white boys, y’all demented,’ Morgan said.

Commenting on the war, Morgan said, ‘Let’s get Saddam and get the f out.’

Sex proved to be a dominating theme of the night, as both comedians covering topics including masturbation, virginity and Spring Break video series ‘Girls Gone Wild.’ The audience warmed up to his humor when Morgan began to point out virgins in the crowd.

‘I’m going to teach you motherf-ers how to f-,’ he said, ‘This is college you get drunk and f.’

Morgan’s hour-and-a-half long routine, though explicit at times, was mostly well-received by the audience.

‘Tracy Morgan’s a weird guy,’ said Jack Wall, a freshman in the College of Engineering.

Breuer began his routine by mentioning some Boston highlights.

‘I’ve never seen anywhere more united in hatred, ‘ he said, speaking of the city’s dislike for the New York Yankees. Breuer egged on the crowd and encouraged a ‘Yankees suck’ chant, which was quickly altered to ‘BC sucks’ in typical BU fashion.

‘Boston’s great, I love getting high and walking through Chinatown, ‘Breuer said. He went on to describe the stoned experience of dinner at a Chinese restaurant.

Breuer described his experience of taking mescaline, advising, ‘whatever you do, don’t look in the mirror.’ However, Breuer claimed he sticks to safer drugs.

‘Drinking is like throwing a party in your stomach and he’s the bouncer,’ Breuer said. ‘If things get out of control, everyone’s getting out immediately the way they came in.’

He added a serious note to the evening, encouraging students to remember to just have fun, ahead of all else.

‘Success is a crock of s- if you’re not loving your life,’ he said.

In reflection after the show, Breuer said the majority of his material is familiar, though he never knows what he’s going to say exactly.

‘After Tracy went on, I had to change some of my material,’ he said.

The audience loved Breuer, although sometimes skeptical of his lack of political correctness.

‘He’s a crazy ahole,’ said Carissa Chappell, a freshman in the College of Communication. ‘He’d be a great guy to have around at a party.’

Paul Bonn opened for the headliners, making several cracks on the airline industry and singing his version of System of a Down’s ‘Aerials’ as ‘Cereal.’ Bonn also added a musical dimension to Breuer’s comedy with his random interludes.

The event was sold out almost immediately after tickets went on sale on March 22 for $7 each. The crowd was standing room only, as a number of students were left without seats. A raffle, offering such prizes as a Gamecube and a digital camera, was held at the show’s intermission.