Get facts straight about Greek life

After reading Richard Saunders letter on March 28, I was left very dismayed (“Union needs revolutionary slate,” pg. 6). The “True 2” slate is not ignorant about Greek life, Mr. Saunders himself is.

First, “True 2” is not trying to get us more money. We don’t receive any funding from the university. The money we use for events such as the Welcome Back BBQ are paid for by dues that each individual sorority and fraternity pays from their budgets. With funding from the university, we’d be more able to continue putting on events such as the Day of Service and The Welcome Back BBQ. I commend the “True 2” slate for seeing past our stereotypes and understanding our contribution to the Boston University community.

Secondly, Mr. Saunders is ignorant of the fact that Greeks were kicked off campus in the ’70s but were eventually allowed to return, and the Inter Fraternity-Sorority Council is now the largest student organization on campus. Did Mr. Saunders conveniently forget that we’re one of the groups co-sponsoring this year’s Dance Marathon? Not to mention all the other philanthropic projects that individual sororities and fraternities take on every semester.

And as for the “glorious Bacchanalian orgy of alcohol and Doric columns,” this is just another unfair stereotype perpetuated against Greeks that doesn’t deserve to be given a second thought. He also mentions that students chose to come here despite the lack of Greek life. First of all, there is Greek Life here, and though it may be different compared with that at large state schools, I wouldn’t give it up for anything in the world. I would bet money on the fact that many of the Greeks here didn’t come to BU with the intention of joining a fraternity or sorority. I know I didn’t.

In conclusion, Mr. Saunders, if you have a problem with the Greek system here, that’s your business, but next time do your homework before you go making weak arguments with no factual basis. A college senior should know better.