Men’s tennis gets no love from BC, URI

The Boston University men’s tennis team dropped two non-conference matches this weekend to the University of Rhode Island and Boston College at the BU track and tennis center, to fall to 3-8 overall, while remaining at 1-1 in conference. The Eagles made the short trip down the Green Line a successful one by handing the Terriers a 6-1 loss on Sunday. The loss followed a painful 4-3 setback to Rhode Island on Saturday that was decided in a well-played doubles match.

‘We had all of both teams lining up against the fence plus a lot of our friends were there on the side,’ said senior John Paul Debbink. ‘It was very intense but Jason [senior captain Jason Vinoles] and I didn’t let the pressure get to us. [They] just outplayed us.’

The 8-4 decision in the final match came after the Terriers split the six singles contests with victories in straight sets by juniors Geoff Wagner and Adam Siegel and sophomore Chris Kubacki. Wagner and Siegel were also victorious in the opening doubles match (8-5), but Kubacki and sophomore Nick Ganias dropped the second to leave the competition deadlocked at three.

‘All of the matches were close [today],’ Vinoles said. ‘I don’t think any of us ever felt like we were out of it. I think what it came down to is that they put one more ball in place. No one ever gave up … I’m really proud of this team.’

Debbink agreed the match could have been won, but questioned the team’s attitude rather than play.

‘I think everyone went in a little too confident and it ended up hurting us in the end.’

The contest featured a different format, with singles preceding doubles. Several matches took place outdoors, much to the players’ dismay.

‘It was difficult to adjust to the outdoor matches,’ Debbink said. ‘There’s quite a few differences between the two, not to mention the weather.’

Sunday’s loss to the Eagles was not as competitive as Saturday’s match, but Debbink and Vinoles were pleased with the team’s effort and ability to shake off Saturday’s defeat.

‘I would think if anything it made us get a little more pumped up,’ Debbink said. ‘They’re not a team we should have lost to. A lot of people played really well today. Better than usual.’

Wagner continued his excellent play with a 6-1, 3-6, 6-0 victory in the singles and an 8-5 win with Siegel in the Terriers’ lone victorious doubles match.

‘[Wagner] played really well today which I think really pumped everyone up,’ said Debbink.

Siegel notched the other singles victory in straight sets for the Terriers.

The two setbacks this weekend followed a two-match win streak that saw BU defeat Fairfield University and the College of the Holy Cross. Though the Terriers’ record may indicate otherwise, Vinoles sees positives in the season thus far.

‘We’re happy with it because if you take away Spring Break against really good schools … and look at our regular season matches we’re 3-3 and 1-1 in conference, and I don’t think that’s too bad.’

With the two weekend defeats behind them, the Terriers will try to better their respectable conference record in a Friday match at the University of Vermont and a Sunday showdown at the University of New Hampshire. Having already defeated UNH in the fall, the Terriers expect a rewarding weekend.