Union bickering inefficient

I’ve been a member of the Boston University community for over six years now as an undergraduate, an employee and a continuing student. Throughout my time at BU, hardly a week has passed it seems without some article describing the inimical relationship between the Student Union Senate, the Executive Board and the Tribunal.

BU students are often reported to be apathetic when it comes to their student government. They do not vote. Union officials often cite a lack of good public relations as the root of student indifference. They are wrong. Student indifference can be directly attributed to how the Union conducts itself. How can students care about their government when all they see is bickering over by laws? What good is a Student Union that spends more than half its time (or at least seems to from Daily Free Press coverage) talking about procedure and quibbling over political turf? What good is a Tribunal if all it does is impede the working of the Senate and Executive Board?

Student Union president Ethan Clay is off track when he says, “The Student Union and student body deserve a more efficient and effective constitution” (“Committee sacked as Union branches clash,” March 4, pg. 1). What the student body really deserves is a more efficient and effective Student Union.