Some other facts about Greek life

Megan Jacobs 419 569 2553 CAS 06

I am writing in response to the commentaries from Greek leaders “setting facts straight” about their organizations. Ms. Jasmine C. Marrero wrote “if you have a problem with the Greek system here that’s your business, but next time do your homework before you go making weak arguments with no factual basis. A college senior should know better.” Well I did my homework, I have some strong arguments with a factual basis, and I am only a freshman. In the articles, the Greek leaders claimed that they are unfairly stereotyped, that they do more then just drink and party. The main argument to support this was that the inter fraternity sorority council has held several community service events. Well I just happened to attend one of the community service events mentioned (the Charles River cleanup) and found the people there to meet every stereotype I have ever held. The day began with a breakfast served outside, after which everyone proceeded into the law auditorium. Apparently quite a few people forgot it was a day of cleanup because trash was left all over the place. While in the lecture hall I listened to the entire audience giggle at the speakers (leaving me to wonder if I was in college or still stuck in high school). They then passed out lunches, took pictures, and we proceeded to “clean” the river. Admittedly, this was my first time doing a river clean up; however, I went with the assumption that one should not wear her open toe Prada shoes with matching purse to do some serious cleaning (several of the ‘sisters’ there did not come to this assumption). When we finally did get to the river cleaning, I found myself lagging quite far behind all the other girls in the group. My only guess as to why this happened is that I was the only one who seemed to make it past, or even to the rocks (where most of the trash was). Also, I believe that the event was billed as “a day of service,” it would have been much more apply named a few hours of service. So you say I shouldn’t base my opinions of Greek organizations on one experience? Ok, well how about I use my experience of seeing, or maybe I should say hearing a sorority group in the library every week. A few weeks ago I got to hear one group of girls discussing nose jobs (I got to hear them because they were talking so loudly that I had no choice); but maybe they were all pre med students working on a group project. (Although, that doesn’t explain the girl trying on her mini skirt and bending over to decide if it was too short). So, in summation, it has been my experience that Greek organizations are nothing more then their stereotypes and that the community service events they promote do not come from a desire to help the community, but to make it appear otherwise.