Mr.Reardon, You are NOT GREEK

Ronald Tien CAS’03 617-817-4557

Mr. Reardon, I must agree you. Not only are you ignorant, but you are a very angry and bitter person. So in light of this fact, I have taken it upon myself to educate your obvious uneducated self.

Boston University recognizes all the fraternities and sororities on campus. Each fraternity/sorority has a national organization that sets down rules and regulation for their respective chapters. All Greek organizations have strict rules that forbid hazing. As a member of a Greek organization, I can honestly and truthfully tell you that I have never been hazed as a pledge, or as a brother. Honestly Mr. Reardon, I’m sorry our apparent “weird” rituals intimidate you. Our “weird” rituals distinguish us from other organizations, as well as other fraternities/sororities. What you don’t understand is that our rituals are not haphazardly made up, nor are they intentionally made “weird” to make people like you feel inferior. Our rituals (and I’m confident to speak for all Greeks) are created and based in response to historic and significant events within each organization. Ritual is our historic tie to those that came before us, and within many groups, this tie can go back to early 1800’s. For you to say that the Greek system should not get more funding because of something that does not happen is ludicrous and ridiculous. Perhaps Boston University should stop funding for certain culture clubs because people find those cultures “weird”. Maybe the United States should disband the Special Forces within our armed forces because their training can be considered “hazing”. Come on Mr. Reardon, get real. Within a school that greatly lacks school spirit and unity, I think fraternities/sororities give incoming freshman a sense of identity and pride. I don’t understand how you can possibly compare the social interaction between fraternities/sororities to that of a floor of a dorm, or a brownstone. The Greek system is perhaps the most diverse combination of organizations on campus. Within my fraternity, we have members from almost every race and continent. We regularly have social events with other sororities, as well, our organizations constantly work together to improve the world through community service. Just recently, Alpha Delta Pi, with the help of all the fraternities on campus had a fundraiser for the Ronald McDonald Foundation. Sigma Delta Pi and Delta Gamma regularly have fundraisers for Prevent Child Abuse, America, and The Ruth Billow Memorial Fund, respectively. This weekend, all the seniors within my fraternity (Kappa Sigma) are donating our time to multiple charitable organizations within the Boston area. I don’t see the problem in having a strong Greek community in a school that has no school spirit, nor do I see the division that occurs within an system that promotes mutual interests among its members. I hope you study and memorize the information just presented to you because you will be tested on this later. I am glad I pledged my fraternity and I am sorry that you disdain the Greek system. But, before you go on and criticize Greek organization, you might want to get the correct name of the group. It is called THE INTERFRATERNITY SORORITY COUNCIL, not Intra-Fraternity Sorority Council. As well, you might want to differentiate what you are against to, the INTERfraternity Sorority Council, the Greek System in general, or specific fraternities/sororities. I’m spent.