Greeks lack funds despite eligibility

Pro/anti, ill-informed, tacky and a few good points have dripped from the editorial pages of The Daily Free Press regarding funding for Boston University’s Greek community. As past Vice President of Finance for the Student Union and a past Executive Board member of Panhellenic Council, I offer a clarification.

The campaign for Greek funding has lost an essential element since its presentation during a 2001-2002 Executive Board meeting. The Greek Community, specifically Panhellenic and the Inter Fraternity Sorority Council, meet the eligibility requirements for Student Union Allocations Board funding, yet aren’t deemed eligible. This conundrum motivated me to subject myself to a year-long analysis, filled of tribulations, to alleviate this contradicting action. We never lobbied for “more money to the Greeks,” we advocated “Greek Eligibility.” While the latter isn’t nearly as sexy in a campaign, I do believe deeming Greeks ineligible for SUAB funding is a flagrant violation of the by-laws. Whether one is for or against funding is completely irrelevant; being a fair and upstanding leader with Student Union funds should ensure upholding the bylaws of SUAB.

I place no blame on students for their lack of knowledge concerning the Greek community, as I know absolutely nothing about the bylaws of the BU Debate Society. However, I know they are eligible for SUAB funding. One may get hot and bothered by the audacity of an alumni for comparing a fraternity to a debate society, yet I do not feel it my place to place a “worth” on either organization and neither did the authors of the SUAB by-laws.

These by-laws determine the disbursement for approximately 65 percent of the Student Union Undergraduate Fee. Clearly stated, eligibility requirements for SUAB funding:

1) The group must be registered with the Student Activities Office.

2) The group must be open to all full-time BU undergraduate students.

3) The group must have an executive board comprised only full-time BU undergraduate students.

4) The group must operate in accordance with all university policies by SAO.

Simply put, Panhellenic and the Inter Fraternity Sorority Council are registered with SAO. Panhellenic and IFSC events, such as recruitment and the Greek BBQ, may not appeal to all, but they are open to all (big distinction). IFSC and Panhellenic E-boards are comprised only of full-time BU students. IFSC and Panhellenic are in accordance with all university Policies by SAO. If they are found in violation hazing or boozing obviously they would no longer be eligible. (Currently, IFC/Panhellenic are in good standing with SAO and allowed to host events.)

Having served as an elected student leader, I had the obligation to represent my constituents, and I would hope any victorious slate would leave their personal prejudices aside, thus abiding and advocating the SUAB bylaws. For those filled with passion for or against Greek Funding, take y’all’s passion off the pages of The Daily Free Press and become a member of SUAB.