Chin Music: Opening the door on closers

After the Red Sox retooled their bullpen this past winter, the major question was, ‘Is the ‘Closer by Committee’ really going to work?’ It did not take long to please the nay-sayers as the BoSox’s bullpen blew the first game of this young season. After Pedro Martinez pitched a great game, leaving with a 4-1 lead after seven innings, the committee was struck its first blow of the year when Alan Embree and Chad Fox combined to give up five runs, including two home runs, in the ninth inning to the lowly Tampa Bay Devil Rays. The following Saturday in Baltimore, Pedro pitched another gem, this time giving up one run over eight innings. The Sox, down 1-0 in the ninth, scratched out a run to tie the game, only to see Fox blow it once again, walking the Oriole’s Tony Batista with the bases loaded, losing the game.

This interesting experiment that the Sox, General Manager Theo Epstein and Manager Grady Little came up with made me think that the Red Sox need to pick an individual to get the job done, not five. Obviously the role of a relief pitcher, especially a closer has changed in the last 30 years or so. Most teams are not even considered to be competitive unless they have an overwhelming pitcher to finish the game.

Based on his work from 1996 to 2001, the New York Yankees’ Mariano Rivera was dubbed the best relief pitcher in the history of baseball. Not only was he a dominant figure in the regular season, but was almost lights out in the postseason. His mortality has peaked through, surrendering a game-tying home run off of Albert Belle in the 1997 ALDS against Cleveland, as well as giving up the game-winning single to Arizona’s Luis Gonzalez in the deciding game of the 2001 World Series. The Angels’ Troy Percival took over on the big stage last season, finally reaching the playoffs and capturing his first World Series ring.

About four years ago, I do not know anyone who would have ever said Eric Gagne of the Dodgers and John Smoltz of the Atlanta Braves would be the best closers in the National League in 2002. Gagne, originally a starter, struggled through the first few years of career, but took off when he changed role, tallying 52 saves in 56 tries. Another converted starter, the veteran Smoltz was a stalwart in the Braves’ incredible stretch of dominance, picking up a Cy Young award in 1996. Last season he broke the National League saves record with 55. Veterans Trevor Hoffman (Padres, 352 saves) and Robb Nen (Giants, 314 saves) have been slowed down by injuries this year, but have already left their mark on the game. John Franco of the Mets is the all-time leader for lefthanders, and is coming off Tommy John surgery this year and returning as a setup man, a role he has taken over in recent years.

Rollie Fingers was one of the first guys to specialize the role of being a closer. Fingers was the first player to reach the 300 save mark, finishing with 341. Rollie was inducted into baseball’s Hall of Fame in only his second year of eligibility, a move that many thought would open the door for other relief pitchers, however, the trend has not really continued.

Dennis Eckersley, another closer converted from the starting role, dominated the American League in the late 1980s and early 1990s. One of his only blemishes was in the 1988 World Series as his surrendered a two-out, pinch-hit home run to Kirk Gibson to lose the game, sending Oakland to a four game sweep at the hands of the Dodgers. Despite spending years as a starter, Eckersley still saved 390, ranking him at third place all time.

Durability and consistency were the keys for Lee Smith who holds the all-time saves record with 478. With a 95 mile per hour fastball, Smith recorded at least 29 saves from 1983-88. It is a little easier to lead in saves when you lead in games closed. Smith closed 802 games in his career.

While I do not think the Red Sox will make a trade for a premier stopper, I do think they should just settle on one man to do the job. While the idea of having several players closing games is interesting, one player who knows what his role is may be a better fit. None of those guys are going to be the next Lee Smith or John Franco, but you never know how much success they may have. Nobody saw Gagne or Smoltz being some of the game’s best closers, and now they lead the league. The game of baseball has changed dramatically over the years. Pitchers are not expected to go the distance in a game; managers only expect about seven innings if they’re lucky. The closer is a relatively new trend in baseball. It is only a matter of time until Cooperstown realizes its importance. While it was the last generation’s closers that opened the door for the position, it will now be up to this generation to open the door to the Hall.