‘Dogs dissected, piece by piece

This is the first of a two-part player-by-player recap of the Terrier hockey season.

1 – Stephan Siwiec – Freshman Goalie – Looked pretty bad in his first game against the University of Nebraska-Omaha and then in the first period against Cornell University Ithaca, but rebounded and played well the rest of the game. The only other action he saw was in relief of junior netminder Sean Fields in a 7-3 drubbing by the University of Maine. Looked stronger in practice as the year wore on, but with Fields starting the last 29 games, couldn’t crack the lineup.

2 – Mike Bussoli – Senior defenseman – Consistently solid on the blueline, Bussoli played intelligently on defense and made his rare forays deep into the offensive zone count with a career-high four goals. Bussoli’s plus/minus of 19 was second best on the team. Struggled carrying the puck out of the neutral zone and couldn’t always keep up with smaller, shifty forwards. Possessed team’s hardest shot.

3 – Ryan Whitney – Sophomore defenseman – Split the season in half and can be analyzed in two different ways. First half: inconsistent, ineffective offensively, constantly turning the puck over and unable to keep up with quick forwards after spraining his ankle just prior to the season. Second half: showed the skills that made him No. 5 pick in 2002 NHL Draft. With his ankle healed, he showed the smooth skating ability and sure stick work that lets him poke check and eliminates the need for him to constantly take the body. He was more effective scoring-wise as well, scoring 10 points in the season’s final 16 games.

4 – Dan Spang – Freshman defenseman – Showed very brief flashes of the skill that made him a second round draft pick in 2002. Spang was benched for eight of nine games from Jan. 25 to Feb. 28 and only found his way back into the lineup against the University of Maine when Freddy Meyer got hurt. Struggled defensively against the Black Bears, but rebounded in the Hockey East tournament and played in the NCAA Tournament games. Appears ready to contribute every night with the departure of three senior defensemen and his improved play at the season’s end.

5 – John Laliberte – Freshman winger – Quick start with five points in his first six games. A shoulder injury against Northeastern lost him his spot in the lineup, and he struggled until he earned a spot on the fourth line near the end of the season. Stepped in for an injured David VanderGulik in the loss to New Hampshire in the NCAA tournament and was the team’s best player in the season-ending defeat. A quick player with good hands, if he gets stronger, could make a leap for BU next year.

6 – Brian Collins – Senior center – Suffered through another miserable first half of the season, echoing his junior campaign, before peaking during the semester break when he scored nine points in seven games. Collins didn’t let offensive woes affect his overall game, playing solid defense, including a wonderful job on Boston College’s Ben Eaves in the Beanpot final. One of the assistant captains, Collins showed effective leadership, and the team did not suffer in that regard when Meyer was hurt. Led the team in power play goals with eight, and left BU without ever missing a game.

7 – Bryan Miller – Sophomore defenseman – Miller was the team’s most consistent blueliner. A solid defensive player who uses his small frame well, Miller is one of the more skilled blueliners in Hockey East, with quick hands and great skating ability. The only defenseman to appear in all 42 contests, he led the team in scoring from the blueline with 23 points. The only time he went more than four games without scoring a point was in the season’s final five-game stretch, a streak he ended when he scored the game-winning goal in overtime against Providence in the first game of the Hockey East playoffs.

8 – Steve Greeley – Junior winger – Played in only six games before suffering a season-ending concussion in practice. Notched two goals and an assist in limited action and provided a solid jolt of speed and grit to the fourth line. A lost season for the junior Scituate native, who could put up decent totals on the fourth line if given consistent playing time next year.

9 – Brian McConnell – Sophomore center/left winger – McConnell’s flaws this season were obvious. Three separate times, BU coach Jack Parker benched the Norfolk native for taking stupid penalties. The second-year man was second on the team with 70 penalty minutes, however, McConnell also tied for third on the team with 25 points (11 G, 14 A). After a poor middle of the season, he really turned it on and showed his great vision and playmaking skills, along with his good scoring ability. McConnell also had unquestionably the hit of the season when he steamrolled BC’s Chris Collins in the Beanpot final. His physical presence, combined with his skills, makes him perhaps one of BU’s most promising players heading into next year.

11 – John Sabo – Senior right winger – Sabo started the year off well, but seemed to run out of gas a bit at the end of the year, especially scoring-wise. With 24 points (10 G, 14 A), Sabo put up decent numbers, but he didn’t score a single goal after his lone tally on Jan. 30 against Merrimack College. He kept working hard, but by the end of the season, his opportunities had dwindled and he seemed less of a threat. Sabo’s real value was his on-ice leadership and defensive work as half of the top pair of penalty killers. Once a penalty minutes leader, Sabo had only 24 minutes this season, though the downside was seen on occasion when he seemed at times to be less of a physical presence than he was in his first three years.

12 – Brad Zancanaro – Freshman center – The only freshman to play in all 42 contests, Zancanaro proved an invaluable addition to the Terriers. He killed penalties, and played with juniors Kenny Magowan and Frantisek Skladany on BU’s best line. With a little more puck-luck, the diminutive Zancanaro would have had five or six more points, but his production doesn’t match his value. Zancanaro always seemed to be making things happen on the ice, and with a little more strength, he can become a more tangible contributor next season, especially if his potent trio stays together.