Most vacant larger apartments gone

About 61 percent of students planning to live in on-campus housing for the 2003-2004 school year had already selected housing for next year as of Tuesday morning, according to Boston University Housing director Marc Robillard.

More than 50 percent of students chose housing through same room and internal selection, he said.

Monday night marked the first night of community selection for students, and more than half of next year’s senior class participated in that, Robillard said. The other part selected last night in the George Sherman Union, he said.

Few campus apartments are completely empty at this point in the selection process, Robillard said.

But Robillard said for students not looking to live with a specific roommate, there still are opportunities to find an empty room in a campus apartment.

Full apartments are gone because Robillard said there have been ‘more large groups of students planning on living together then expected.’ Many groups of four of five students went to housing selection hoping to find empty apartments and suites than in previous years, he said. Because of the change in trend, he said many students were disappointed when they were unable to find housing they were looking for.

Robillard said despite the numbers, students should always ask about a residence in which they are interested in living.

‘A space could open up at any time,’ Robillard said.

It is much easier to place groups of two students or single students, Robillard said, so students should always consider a back-up plan.

For students seeking apartment-style housing in specialty housing units, it is an entirely different situation. For those students, availability varies from house to house, Robillard said.