Myers’ View of SMG is Unresearched and Inaccurate

After reading Peter Myers’ column about SMG on Friday, I felt the need to respond. I know Peter was working on his SMG piece for a along time, and I was expecting good results, but instead I read an unresearched, one-sided view of a school he knows little about. My name is James Korandanis. Yes, the same person who was quoted in the article. Myers manages to interview only two people on the subject, both of whom he knew had conflicting views on SMG. My interview consisted of many questions and most of my answers were favorable. He uses the one response that suited his predetermined conclusion, that SMG is “evil”. A well written column may have included the upside and downside of SMG. He may have mentioned the great education, and fine professors, as well as the snobby culture. Instead, Myers foolishly insults and establishment he knows nothing about, and doesn’t take the time to look into. His argument based on my quote is completely unfounded. Many people could say that COM students all feel like they will have a front page story on the Boston Globe everyday, or will be writing for prime time TV shows. There is the same chance of that happening as an SMG student becoming CEO of a huge corporation. Both schools have very successful alumni. Let’s face it, both COM and SMG are fine communities within Boston University. Both schools like to poke fun at one another, but most is just that, for fun. If Myers has a problem with SMGers that’s fine, but a column like his has no place in our school news paper. In closing, I’d like to remind Peter, that according to my optimistic and unrealistic SMG world view, he will be working for me someday.

James Korandanis, SMG ’05 jameskor@bu.edu 617-352-4334