‘Cabaret’ raises hundreds

Jacob Sleeper Auditorium was romping and stomping last night as 100 people gathered to raise money for charity during the Boston University chapter of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars’ second annual “Evening of Cabaret.”

The event featured various performing groups from BU and the surrounding area, including a capella groups the Treblemakers and the Allegrettos and dance group Fusion. The night also included a rebellious professor, a step squad and two contrasting rock bands.

The event raised more than $400 for the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Massachusetts, according to Laura Kolar, one of the event’s emcees.

Audience members said the highlight of the night was College of Arts and Sciences associate dean and astronomy professor Alan Marscher, who performed songs by Elvis Costello and Phil Oates and an original song he said was aimed at helping inspire the Astronomy majors he teaches.

The song was about the life of an astronomy major at his high school reunion who tells off his class’ homecoming queen, who used to make fun of him in his youth for being a nerd. Marscher insisted the song was not autobiographical.

Marscher also poked fun of the musicians, actors and film directors, such as Michael Moore, who spoke out against the war in Iraq, though he then proceeded to bare to the audience a T-shirt emblazoned with the slogan, “Make Love, Not War.”

Sweet Liberty, a dancing quintet, opened the evening with a performance of U2’s “Mysterious Ways,” which segued into the same group’s “Elevation.” They were followed by the Treblemakers, a jiving a capella ensemble which performed a varied mix of heartfelt tunes.

The Allegrettos, a more laid-back a capella group clad in jeans and T-shirts, showed performed unique interpretations of 1990s pop songs.

Trú Sole Step Squad, a vivacious group whose synchronization floored audience members, performed a Stomp-like, ritualistic act. The group pounded on the stage with their feet in distinct rhythms, creating their own music.

Aural Fixation, a female a capella group, also sang a medley of songs made famous by Gloria Estefan, a popular Cuban-American singer from a decade ago. Fusion also successfully danced to a conglomeration of modern music from various ethnic and urban cultures.

The last group of the evening was Lemonstone, whose lead guitarist showed his musical skills by continuing to perform after one of his strings had broken. The group closed the evening with a riveting rendition of Jimi Hendrix’s “All Along the Watchtower.”

Rachel Kerr, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences and co-president of BU’s NSCS, said she was very impressed with the turnout.

“We did this last year, and this time we raised four times as much [money],” she said.

Kerr said the event was one of many community service activities organized by the NSCS over the course of the year. This year, the group also held a used book and clothing drives and a food drive, along with several social events like trips to Fenway Park.

Kolar also said they hope to build upon the event next year, and make it an annual event.

“Everybody who performed in the cabaret was great,” she said. “They were really dedicated, coming to rehearsals all month.”