Student’s Spring Break makes silver screen

Many college students leave their cold, northern campuses for warm, wild times during Spring Break, and few remember much of their trips.

But Boston University freshman Brittany Brown-Hart will have a very public memento of her early-March trip to Cancun, Mexico. As one of 16 people chosen for the reality documentary called “The Real Cancun,” distributed by New Line Cinema, the Redondo, Calif. native enjoyed an all-expenses paid Spring Break at what is arguably the world’s premier college hot-spot.

“I loved everything about it,” she said. “Everything was enjoyable. Let’s just say we really had fun.”

The film, which premieres this Friday, is the first reality movie to hit the screens. An as-yet-unreleased reality movie was also filmed in Cancun at about the same time as “The Real Cancun.”

But while some might be afraid of having their college vacation immortalized on the nation’s big screens, Brown-Hart said she is thrilled. Instead of feeling apprehensive about embarrassing scenes filmed during unsavory moments, Brown-Hart said she is not worried.

“I look fine in the movie,” she said. “It didn’t shed a bad light on me at all.”

Brown-Hart said her fellow cast members were outstanding and great fun.

“We’re like a big family now – I talk to them almost every day,” she said.

She also said the movie crew was very professional.

“They were great,” she said. “Really flexible, maybe a little disorganized, but really good.”

The cast often didn’t know where they were going or what was planned until five minutes before, she said.

Brown-Hart also said that one week’s worth of events cannot be jammed into 90 minutes of film. For that reason, New Line Cinemas had to edit much of their footage.

“What you see is just the mild stuff,” she said.

The highlight of her experience was partying with her favorite band, a scene that appears in the movie.

The details of the film and plot cannot be revealed until tomorrow.

While Brown-Hart said she does not see any more film or reality shows in her future, she said she would do it again if given the opportunity.

“If I had it to do all over again I’d do everything the same,” she said.

Still, the bio-chemistry major said, “I’m not making it a career – I am going to be a surgeon.”

Amber Madison, a student and sex columnist at Tufts University also starred in the film, though she thought very differently of the experience. The producers’ aims did not exactly mesh with her values, she said.

“My big thing is safe sex and not unprotected sex with a bunch of different people, which is what I think they were looking for,” she said.

The 21-year-old said while the venue was terrific and the fact that it was all free was wonderful, she disliked the experience overall.

“There is no way I would pay to go see it if I wasn’t in it,” she said. “I don’t think it’s going to be my kind of thing. I’m not into ‘Girls Gone Wild.'”

But Brown-Hart said Amber was an outsider in the group and the two had very different viewpoints of the experience.

“Nobody really liked her,” she said.