Union president, Miss Engineering up for grabs in BU ‘Singled Out’

A rendition of “Singled Out,” MTV’s dating show that brought Jenny McCarthy away from the Playboy circuit and into homes across the nation, is coming to Boston University tonight, as the Student Union continues its week of “Springfest” events.

Registration to vie for one of the night’s eligible bachelors will start at 6:30 p.m. Fifty males will try to court Miss Engineering from last month’s “Mr. and Miss BU” pageant, Andrea Kolowoski, and 50 females will work to impress Union president Ethan Clay during the event, which will be held on the Warren Alpert Mall, or “BU Beach.”

Union Sen. Erik Dawson, who is scheduled serve as tonight’s host, said he expected between 250 and 300 people to attend.

Among other qualifications, finalists will be selected based on physical characteristics and their performances in certain “fun” activities on which Dawson would not elaborate. “I can’t give away too much,” he said.

“We want everyone to understand that it’s all about having fun,” Dawson said.

Dawson said although he expects some criticism from students who disapprove of the superficial aspects of the event, he is not concerned about it.

“I don’t anticipate too much flack – it’s nothing that I’m too worried about,” he added.

Other students said they were also not bothered by the superficial aspects of the contest.

“It’s obvious that [looks] are one of the first things you notice,” College of Communication junior Adrienne Fragatos said.

College of Arts and Sciences freshman Mike Romano said as long as the intentions are good, the event’s focus should not be a problem.

“I think it’s okay,” Romano said. “It’s all in good fun and that’s a good thing.”

Romano said he likes the idea for the event, especially its timing and location.

“I think it sounds like a great idea,” Romano said. “Especially since it will be out on the [BU] Beach. I think a lot of people will hear it going on.”

CAS junior Dan Carney said he will be going to the event just to see how the Union replicates the show.

“I remember the show from MTV and I want to try it out,” he said.

But some students said although they would like to attend the event, they will not able to work it into their schedules, as work piles up at the end of the semester.

“It’s a bad time [in the semester] with exams and stuff,” said CAS freshman Carrie Savage.

Evenna Liu, who is scheduled to co-host “Singled Out” with Dawson, said students will most likely hear about the event through their friends and that “word of mouth” will bring students to the event.

“There’s free food, too,” she said.