Inline hockey continues success

Quietly, the past five seasons have been just the beginning. As graduation approaches, I’m left with only great optimism as I look at what the future holds for the Boston University inline hockey team, both as an organization and as a nationally competitive club sport.

Rob Mariano, a BU alumnus, has been at the helm since the team’s inception in 1998. Under his tenure, BU has posted an overall record of 51-24-6, won the New England Regional Championship in 2000 and advanced at nationals to the Elite Eight round in 2001 and the Sweet 16 round in 2002. Mariano also managed to make an appearance last year on CBS’ hit series “Survivor: Marquesas.”

But the team’s success has reached beyond the rink, stemming mostly from the hard work of students who have a passion for hockey. The players, who have ice hockey experience, whether in high school or in juniors, all have a common interest to continue their hockey experience here at school. It is this dedication that has enabled the organization to grow and form a mutual respect at a national level, and more importantly, within the surrounding BU community. The team has created a positive image around campus by volunteering at various school functions, such as walks for cancer research. This season, the team’s fundraising efforts at BU ice hockey games furthered a relationship within the hockey community. Serving as the captain of the team for the past three seasons, I was pleased to see a former BU ice hockey player, Kevin Bjelejac, added to the roster to compete in a mid-season tournament. It’s a great example of how far the team has come.

The team continued to grow this season, making a jump from the New England Region to the more prominent Eastern Collegiate Roller Hockey Association. The league consists of 16 teams competing on the East Coast, broken up into a northern and a southern division. In its inaugural season, BU finished third overall and received an automatic bid to the 2003 Collegiate Roller Hockey League National Tournament, its third nationals appearance in as many years. Unfortunately this season, the team was unable to advance past the opening round, falling to the defending national champions Lindenwood University, 6-3.

But with only three seniors graduating, the team’s future looks bright. Notables returning next season are Assistant Captain Brandon Evans, as well as the team’s top scoring line of Manny Rodrigues (12-10-22), Justin Burke (11-6-17), Brian Fage (16-12-26) and Billy Riter (17-9-26), along with a very much improved starting goaltender Brian Schwartz.

Like any senior who has played his last game, I’m humbled by the fact that I ended my career scoring the team’s last goal of the season, in a game that epitomized everything I would have wanted it to. Being a part of this team’s development has meant much more than hockey. It’s given me, as well as many other players, a bond that can’t be forgotten.

[ Josh Falcone, a senior in the School of Management, is the captain of the inline hockey team. ]