Finch: Heating up or just blowing smoke?

In life, should we always strive to do something groundbreaking and remarkable, or should we merely accept our predictable lots and vow to perform the menial tasks we’re asked to perform to the best of our abilities? Your answer to this question is essential to who you are: a deep-sea explorer or an insurance salesman. It’s also a question that has tremendous meaning for popular music, and one that begged to be asked over and over again during Finch’s performance at Avalon last Friday.

The band sounded amazing, but for some reason, it wasn’t particularly interesting. The California-based quintet is typically referred to as emo, or more appropriately screamo, but there’s something very modern rock about what they do as well. One second it will sound like typical hardcore fare, and the next it skids downward into Incubus or Papa Roach territory. If you’re in high school, as most of the attendees were, Finch is probably right up your alley.

Even if the group isn’t bringing anything new to the party, they at least seem really psyched to be invited. Singer Nate Barcalow was all over the stage, backpedaling and stumbling around as though he’d lost his center of gravity. At times he’d lean back and let out some truly impressive screams, while behind him drummer Alex Pappas showed his love for the double bass kick. By the end of the set, Barcalow’s gray T-shirt was soaked completely through, and the already shirtless Pappas looked as though he’d just run the Boston Marathon.

Finch’s latest album, What It Is To Burn, was produced by Mark Trombino, the man behind hits by Blink 182 and Jimmy Eat World, so much of the new material was predictably catchy. But that’s just it it’s predictable. ‘Letters To You’ is a really great song, but what makes it distinctly Finchian? The band didn’t even say much to the crowd, instead letting useless pieces of feedback and effects fill the silence between songs. After their last song they just walked off stage, no announcement that they’d finished.

Somehow, this was fitting. Finch is a band that is obviously talented and will be around for a while, but no grand entry or exit is necessary. There’s no question they know what it is to burn, but will anyone notice the smoke?